A) Listen to the readings for the two remaining Fire Officials; The Official Who Separates Pure from Impure and The Supreme Controller. Link to Audio Files.
After listening to each reading, take some time to think about who in your life displays some of these Fire element traits. Write them down in the following way:
- make some reference to their name (so you remember but their identity remains anonymous)
- describe the trait that you feel reveals the state of the Fire Element in them
- which Official do you think is responsible?
- any other comments which feel appropriate
Do this for ten people.
B) FIRE ELEMENT JOURNEYS TO OFFICIALS
I - Supreme Controller (Heart)
II -The Official Who Separates Pure from Impure (Small Intestine)
V - Circulation Sex/Heart Protector Official
VI - Triple Heater / Official in Charge of the Three Burning Spaces
General Guidelines for Journey homework:
It is always advisable to do the journeys BEFORE you have reviewed the text material. Don’t worry if you feel you don’t remember much about them. This is what the journey work is for – to allow you to have a ‘personal’ experience with the officials. After your journey notes have been written down, you can review the text (either audio file or re-reading).
Take a few minutes before the journey to look at the meridian pathway in Volume I. If you don’t have Volume I please contact Claire for a copy of the relevant pages (it would be wise to do this right away so you have them handy when you are ready to journey). Take a few minutes to contemplate and marvel at the pathway of the official and the functional role it plays in the human body/mind/spirit (as much as you can remember). Remind yourself of when we were doing the plant work together and how spending time with an aspect of nature and just being in awe of it and noticing it were valuable pre-requisites to engaging the spiritual connection. Try to conjure up that same feeling about the Official you are going to be meeting. An Official is truly a remarkable and awe-inspiring aspect of Nature!
Once the journey notes are typed up (be sure you follow the homework guidelines) please add some personal notes at the bottom about how you felt about the journey, how much you feel you got to know the official, etc. These personal notes help tremendously when I am reviewing and offering comments and feedback.
Suggested timing for journeys: no more than two per week
1) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Heart Protector Official.”
2) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to an unhealthy Heart Protector Official.”
3) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Triple Heater Official.”
4) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to an unhealthy Triple Heater Official.”
5) Journey - I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Heart Protector Official and a healthyTriple Heater Official AT THE SAME TIME, so I may learn how they work together.”
6) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Official Who Separates the Pure from the Impure.”
7) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to an unhealthy Official Who Separates the Pure from the Impure.”
8) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Supreme Controller.”
9) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to an unhealthy Supreme Controller.”
10) Journey - “I am a student of the Five Elements. Please introduce me to a healthy Supreme Controller and a healthy Official Who Separates Pure from Impure AT THE SAME TIME so I can learn how they work together.
C) DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIPS WITH NATURE
In our coursework together this past July we worked with two different approaches to ‘meeting’ with an aspect of the natural world. One was the ‘no pressure’ approach, where we simply found an aspect of Nature that we felt was attractive or wanting to ‘get our attention’. We spent time with this feature of Nature, studied it, perhaps drew it, had a nap with it, etc. Then later, but staying with the same feeling tone, we did an easy journey, simply taking the feeling inward and allowing whatever came forward to be present in our inner awareness. The second was the more formal method, with an intention, an introduction, specific steps taken (drawing the plant for example) and then, in a journey, asking the spirit of the plant to introduce itself to us. For this homework assignment I would like you to do another one of each style, so two encounters with nature, any aspect you choose. Write out your notes in detail with comments on how you think they went AND how you would compare the two methods in your personal experience. I’m also interested to know if the quality of your experience with the two methods were consistent with the two you did during class time.
D) PLAYING WITH FIRE!
After reading through the text or listening to the audio files on the Officials of Fire, trying experimenting with offering Fire to people you encounter. Then notice how they respond to you. So, for example, you might ask a person on the street for the time, but instead of simply asking, offer them some warmth, a smile, a laugh, something that makes a connection but in an appropriate way Try this with both strangers and people you live with. Do they respond/react differently to you? What do you notice about their response? If you don’t think of yourself as a Fire type, and typically don’t offer warmth and laughter to others, then this will be really good practice for you! Please take notes of your findings.
E) PULSE CHART MONTHLY CALENDAR
From this stage of your training onward I would like you to provide me with a monthly calendar that shows the total pulses taken per day, and the monthly total. At the end of each month these can be emailed to Claire and will be stored with your other homework. If you would like a sample calendar or a template, Claire can provide one.
After completing your journeys to the Fire Officials, please read:
Volume III The Five Elements and The Officials
Chapter Eight: The Correspondences of the Elements
pages 81 and 82 The Fire Element
Once the reading is completed, please make up your own correspondences chart, adding any further correspondences that may have arisen from your journeys.
G) Finding Fire
Take yourself on two outings of at least one hour each. One outing should be in the city and one out in Nature. Look for evidence of the Fire Element and its Officials everywhere you can and make a list of what you find. People can be included!